Sunday, April 1, 2012

You Turn Me On, I'm A Radio (apologies to Joni Mitchell)

My lovely wife will look at me and ask, "So, what's the song you're hearing now?"  She knows that there is a radio station in my head, playing almost continuously.  It has been running from when I first started hearing music and deejays on the radio, which always was playing when I got up, when I came home from school, when I was doing homework and usually while I was in bed supposedly sleeping! It led me to believe that music was more important than anything except shelter and food. Oh, and the electricity or batteries to keep the music coming!

The music never stops and I always have a tune running through my head.  I find myself whistling, humming or even singing the tune, much to the chagrin of the people around me.  (Note to self: before puberty you could sing beautifully, but that was back in the time of the cavemen...)  On occasion someone will ask me what the song was ("sorry, did I butcher it?") that I was humming/singing/destroying and after my response they'd reply, "really?  I never heard it done that way before!"  So much for my improvisational skills...

Regardless, my musical education began with the pop music of the 1950s and early '60s, which was played on the radio and television.  I longed to be one of the WMCA (New York)"Good Guys"  (listen to "Fabulous 57" airchecks here ); not just so I could be (in)famous, but I wanted access to those 57+ songs they rotated regularly!  I decided, then and there, I needed to be in radio and own a lot of records.  Well, both dreams came true!

In college I joined the radio station on the first day of the semester.  I introduced myself and my 800+ 45 rpm records to the team!  There was a show called "Request Line Oldies";  my records and my knowledge of the songs helped me gain a footing.  I even got a spot on Sunday mornings on the AM station and did news and board work on the FM side.  With help from many, finally I was able to join the "big kids" on FM, doing a morning show once-a-week and learning more about the progressive rock music and jazz that the station played. This led me to getting a late night spot on the station and getting a chance to be one of the people who reviewed the music for the daytime announcers who weren't as familiar with the music.  I had arrived!   (More about my radio daze in the future).

Which brings me to the point of these ramblings - to me, it's all about the music.  I consider myself to be a vehicle for turning people on to music that catches my ears.  I pass it along to others (tweets, Facebook postings, emails and so on) and let them decide for themselves.  I won't say if it's good or bad, but if I like it, I'll gush about it (sorry about the mess...)!  So, read, listen, discuss with your family and friends.  No one is wrong here, and no one is right either.  It's just what I see and hear that I want to share!

What were your first records (cassettes, CDs, MP3s)?

When I was younger, so much younger (oops, possible copyright infringement), I used to see these advertisements in magazines for one of the record clubs, where you could buy four LPs for five dollars (for those not in the know, LPs are Long-Playing records a/k/a vinyl).  And you didn't have to send any money!!!  So, I filled out the card and mailed it in.  When Mr. Postman (oops, again) delivered the package, my mom was stunned as I yelled out "the records are here"!!!  One dirty look later, I still had the records but I was in the doghouse (figuratively speaking).  Now, my music tastes were a bit all over the place, so the selections were kind of eclectic.  I had purchased the following:

Soundtrack - "The Music Man" (Robert Preston and Barbara Cook).
Soundtrack - "Annie Get Your Gun" (I think it was the Mary Martin/John Raitt version).
The Four Freshmen - Four Freshmen and Five Guitars  (1959, Capitol).
The Kingston Trio - Here We Go Again!  (1959, Capitol).

Eclectic, eh?   Later, when I had my "own" money and wanted to buy records, I did so.  My first LP purchases were:

The Chambers Brothers - The Time Has Come
The Union Gap - Woman, Woman

Quite the start, don't you think?

Next time, the thousands of pieces of vinyl and CDs I have, waiting to be played!

Speak!!!

BB

2 comments:

  1. Can it be that I am first to comment? Regardless, great idea Bruce. I did not know of your musical interests or tastes back in the high school daze when we barely new each other, but I have since come to greatly appreciate this side of you. Please keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS, the first vinyl I bought was a compilation of themes from James Bond movies, circa 1964. My musical taste evolved considerably (and broadly) over the next 6 years.

    ReplyDelete